Baby Jones

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, March 23, 2007

random thoughts

Today is National Chip and Dip Day! Try out these dip recipe's from Cooking Light (feta-spinach & avocado-yogurt) with your favorite chips (or veggies) and have fun celebrating this weekend!

I was reading an article this morning about how the world (not just America) is becoming obese. There were lots of good things in the article but here is what caught my eye and made me laugh out loud. In Scotland, health officials have placed the national dish - haggis (sheep's stomach lining stuffed with offal, oatmeal, onions, and spices, yum...) - on a list of restricted foods: They determined last year that the fat-laden dish should only be served to children under the age of 5 once a week. What? They serve this in Scottish cafeteria's? I understand it's a traditional dish but I thought it only came out on special occasions and at the Burns supper. I can gladly say that I've tried it and don't feel the need to ever have it again, much like blood sausage (black pudding). They sure do make some interesting food across the pond, don't they? Anyway, I'm glad to see the Scottish taking their obesity levels seriously and trying to make some changes, like not serving freakishly weird and uber-fatty food to their wee lads and lasses. Oh, and I should mention that I put links in the above paragraph because I didn't want to force you to look at any pictures of these foods since I couldn't find any that didn't make my stomach want to turn.

Word of the day:
Magpie

Definition: (noun) a person who chatters noisily / (adjective) given to indiscriminate collecting.
Synonym: chatterbox / collector
Example: Tabitha is quite the magpie of which her blog is a great showcase.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:-) I have had Haggis... in Scotland... interesting... and not something that I'm in need of ever having again. But then again... I wonder what we have in America that the Scottish would think twice before eating...