Baby Jones

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Why must we watch this again?

There are a few shows that Scott likes to watch that just don't make sense to me. To explain, he doesn't go searching for them or know the nights they air new episodes, he just watches when he comes across them while channel surfing which I think makes it all the more exciting to him. It's like discovering gold or something, I don't know. But I don't get them. At all. I'd rather read a book than watch them.

Please don't get me wrong though. I love my husband. I really, honestly, very much, madly, deeply, truly love this wonderful guy who loves me and is better at cleaning up than I am. But sometimes, I just don't get how or why he enjoys watching these stupid shows.

I don't know why we have to watch people do stupid tricks in a minute, or get beaten by large foam covered mechanical arm thingy's and fall into water a hundred times over, or watch as people drive around in a cab answering money for cash? This is good entertainment? Apparently to a whole lot of people out there, it is. The fact that these shows are on the air and have been for a while means that there must be other people watching. And I guess it goes back to the differences between girls and boys, girls playing with barbies and boys playing with trucks and little green military men. Girls playing house and dress up, boys playing war and pulling pranks. Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus ring a bell?

So when he pauses on one of these shows, I hope against hope that he truly is only pausing and will continue on to find something a little more involved, a little more challenging to the mind, a little more...interesting, perhaps. But, even though I sit hoping, I have to take note that the pause is growing longer and longer...and now he's watching a show that he enjoys, that makes him laugh, that lets him sit back and relax and let go of a long day. Ultimately, that is all that matters. I think I can handle that. Goodness knows I do and enjoy things that he finds ridiculous and a waste of time, and he handles that very well...probably a lot better than I do.

I will note, though, that I think he likes seeing my reaction every time he starts to watch one of these shows. I look at him with a "Really??" look...then when he hasn't changed the channel yet, I follow my look with "Really? Your gonna watch this? This show is stupid" (I'm terrible, aren't I?). This is usually said over his laughing because 1) something "funny" has happened on the tv and 2) he loves getting reactions out of me. He's such a stinker. This is all followed by one of us giving in and then teasing the other for while...it's a great little cycle.

PS. I KNOW there are girls that enjoy these shows too, it's not just for the male species. I am just not one of them. Nope, I'm not.

2 comments:

Sarah Pinault said...

Yup Husby watched two hours of wipeout on Hulu last night, I just don't get it!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

Ha! I know how you feel! Last night my husband watched sports (some football game) on TV. Let me just clarify by saying that he NEVER watches sports, at most - twice a year. He only watched it because his son entered him into some kind of betting pool and he was trying to be a good father and participate. But that meant that I had to watch football too. Well, I didn't actually watch it. Thank goodness I can tune it out while reading blogs online! But still... it was on. The things we do for our significant others!